Monday, September 3, 2012

Bo's Abuse



This is Bo.  Short for Bonsai.  He was a gift from Daniel on what we thought was my last week at work, though I ended up staying another 3 weeks.

We (really I mean 'me') played around with a few names such as Fred (all my goldfish were of that name, and one lived to be quite old until it died in my Mimi's backyard pond when it froze during the winter), Jay (Bo is a dwarf jade, so Jay would be a play on 'jade'), or Bojangles (a combination of Bo - for bonsai - and Jay - for jade, and well, Bojangles because who doesn't like chicken and biscuits? though I've never eaten there myself).

But I settled on Bo.  Sometimes me or the kids will say something like "Did you take Bo out today?" as if we were talking about a dog.  I've read bonsai like to be outdoors in nice weather.  Or "Have you given Bo a drink?  Is he thirsty?"


The problem is, Bo has been severely abused and neglected at our house.  If he could talk, he would tell you that he was mistakenly given vinegar to drink for the first 2 weeks (uh - long story . . . ), or that his parents forget to open the blinds when they leave for work in the morning, or how his mom went a little too crazy on his haircut, or how he was moved to one of the kitchen windows next to the stove and was assaulted by severe temperature changes and grease flying.

Miraculously, through Bo's short life of abuse and neglect, he is still sprouting new growth.  And with that new growth, us - his parents - are growing in learning how to care for the first indoor plant we have had in our 6 years of marriage.


Romans 5:3-4
"...we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

2 comments:

  1. Unless the bottle of vinegar slipped off the counter, repeatedly, for 2 weeks into the plant...unknowingly,...then I highly doubt it was a mistake. Attempt of murder is a serious crime, Michelle. Not to be taken lightly. Sick I tell you, just sick. ~Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!
      Nic had put vinegar in a spray bottle that I thought only had water. I was using the spray bottle to water Bo, and he only remembered it had vinegar 2 weeks AFTER I started using it.
      Daniel was in the living room, and we were in the kitchen when we found out. My heart sank. I really thought I had killed our first plant - one that could possibly live longer than us!

      So I jumped on Google to see what PH is good for dwarf jade bonsai, and it said between 5.5 - 7.5, so slightly acid soil is alright. Just hoping I didn't make the soil TOO acidic! It may just be that I made him dehydrated for 2 weeks, and hindered the roots ability to take up water. He seems to be bouncing back pretty good, though. :)

      Oh, the spiritual truths you can learn by taking care of a plant!!

      Delete