Saturday, September 29, 2012

Crocheted Ice Skate Ornaments




I have been crocheting these little ice skate ornaments like crazy lately.  Originally I was using other colors (red ice skates with white tops, green tops, gold tops, blue ice skates with white tops, etc), but after sending a few to my Mimi, she told me my aunt mentioned that white would look great on a tree.  So, I began knitting up white and loved how they were turning out.  It's more of a cream color, really, but delicate and soft.

This is supposed to be our first adoption fundraiser.  Although we do not plan on starting the adoption process until Nic's student loans are paid off, the $30,000+ it will take motivates me to start preparing even now.  I wanted to put myself into the process, where every dollar feels earned in some way.  I want to feel the sacrifice, and emotionally invest in bringing our child(ren) home.  Knitting and crocheting is just one way for me to do that.  When I am on my lunch break at work, waiting for Nic to pick me up after work, in the waiting room at the doctor's office, or in the truck with Nic on a long trip, keeping my hands busy and my heart consistently attached to the end goal of holding our future son(s) or daughter(s) helps me to continue on.  So, while it may seem silly to spend so much time crocheting an ice skate ornament only to get $1 to $2 for it, it is a spiritual process for me, and I can see the progress in my head as a step forward.  Each ice skate is one more step forward.  And I'll take those tiny little baby steps, because it means we are moving; we aren't standing still; it is not unattainable.

I have been discussing with Nic whether to open an account specifically for money earned from adoption fundraisers, or whether to throw it all at the student loans right now (to cut down on interest charges) until we actually start filling out the dossier and doing the home study.

I plan to mail these out to my Mimi and Tina in the next few days.  They are helping me by putting it on card stock and in plastic bags to sell at a boutique this fall.

If you want some hand-crocheted ice skates for your Christmas tree this year, let me know and I can whip some up and mail them out to you.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment